WHY DO YOU DO THIS?
As a parent, when asked "Why do you invest so much time and money in music activities for your kids, for so many years?" I have a confession to make: I don't pay for these activities for the sake of music itself. Personally, it doesn't really matter to me. So, what exactly am I investing in and why?
- I invest in those moments when my kids feel exhausted and want to give up, but choose to persevere instead
- I invest in those days when my kids come home from school feeling too tired to practice or attend lessons, yet they push through and commit to that daily practice and their regular lessons
- I invest in teaching my kids discipline
- I invest in teaching my kids to take care of their body.
- I invest in teaching my kids to learn to work with others
- I invest in teaching my kids how to handle both disappointment and success.
- I invest in teaching my kids to set and achieve goals.
- I invest in teaching my kids that achieveing their goals requires countless hours of hard work and practice, and that success is not a one-time event, but a lifelong journey of personal growth
- I invest in the opportunities my kids have, and will continue to have, to form lifelong friendships; to be inspired and to inspire others.
- I invest so that my kids can be creating something beautiful and positively transformative through their personal relationship with music rather than spending all their time in front of a screen...
...I could go on but,to put it succinctly, I don't simply pay for music lessons, I'm investing in the opportunities that music provides my kids to develop qualities that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the chance to enrich the lives of others.
From what I've witnessed thus far, I believe it's a tremendous investment!